Or as we call it – Ease the sneeze…..
As we are through Spring; many of us eagerly welcome Summer. However, for those who suffer from hay fever, this time of year can bring a sense of dread. In this blog, we will explore the best essential oils for hay fever and similar allergies, and how these wonderful natural remedies can help allergy sufferers embrace the joys of spring. Say goodbye to sneezing fits and itchy eyes and say hello to a season filled with relief and enjoyment.
What is Hay Fever?
Hay fever, affecting about one in four individuals in the UK, is an allergic reaction triggered by pollen. The prime time for hay fever troubles is between March and September when pollen levels soar due to the warmer, windier, and more humid weather. Those who suffer from hay fever often find themselves prone to other allergic conditions such as eczema, asthma, and food allergies. Lasting for weeks or even months, hay fever has no known cure, leaving sufferers frustrated and irritable. Simple pleasures like a walk in the park or gardening can quickly turn into sniffling and discomfort. In our family, literally none of us can cut the grass, without days of sniffling and
Here are some common hay fever symptoms:
- Frequent sneezing
- Persistent coughing
- Headache and temple pain
- Runny or congested nose
- Irritated, red, watery, and itchy eyes
- Reduced sense of smell
While it’s impossible to prevent hay fever, there are ways to alleviate its symptoms. Over-the-counter medications are readily available, but they may not be suitable for everyone., as they can cause drowsiness, blurred vision, and slower reaction times, making it inadvisable to drive while taking them. Furthermore, these medications are often not suitable for children.
Many individuals find that using essential oils helps ease their discomfort, allowing them to enjoy the splendours of the season with greater comfort and well-being. Though not life-threatening, hay fever can make life pretty miserable, so finding effective relief is crucial.
The best essential oils for hay fever and allergies
Hay fever season got you down? Discover the natural power of Zen + Soul’s essential oils to find relief from sneezing fits and itchy eyes. Let the beauty of aromatherapy guide you to a blissful, allergy-free spring.
- Peppermint oil: Cool and decongestant, peppermint oil reduces nasal congestion and soothes respiratory symptoms, providing relief from hay fever discomfort.
- Lavender oil: With its relaxing properties, lavender oil alleviates allergic inflammation, reducing histamine release and calming hay fever symptoms.
- Eucalyptus oil: Known for respiratory benefits, eucalyptus oil relieves nasal congestion caused by hay fever, helping you breathe easier and manage respiratory symptoms.
- Tea tree oil: With antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties, tea tree oil eases nasal and sinus congestion, offering relief from hay fever discomfort.
- Roman Chamomile oil: Soothing inflammation, chamomile oil provides relief from hay fever symptoms, promoting a sense of calm and comfort.
- Rosemary oil: Anti-inflammatory and antiallergic, rosemary oil helps reduce allergic responses and provides relief from hay fever discomfort.
- Lemon oil: Featuring natural antihistamine properties, lemon oil reduces histamine release and offers relief from hay fever symptoms, allowing you to enjoy spring with ease.
There are many ways you can incorporate essential oils into your everyday life to help assist with allergy relief. If hay fever is getting you down, try using some of our suggested oils or blends in the following ways:
- Inhalation and Diffusion: Diffusing essential oils like peppermint, eucalyptus, lavender, or chamomile can purify the air and provide respiratory support. These oils have anti-inflammatory and decongestant properties that ease nasal congestion and soothe irritated airways.
- Steam Inhalation: Add a few drops of tea tree, eucalyptus, or lemon essential oil to a bowl of hot water. Place a towel over your head, close your eyes, and inhale deeply. Steam inhalation opens nasal passages, relieves congestion, and reduces inflammation. Use reed diffusers, room sprays (non-irritant and with essentials oils of cause).
- Topical Application and Massage: Dilute essential oils with carrier oil. Massage the diluted oil onto temples, chest, and sinus areas.
- Bath Soak: Bath: You can relax in the bath and ease those allergy symptoms simultaneously. Add a few drops of lavender, chamomile, or eucalyptus oil to your bathwater and soak for 15-20 minutes (the oils must be diluted before adding to the bath water. Our Relaxing Lavender + Magnesium Bath Salts – is blended with both Lavender and Chamomille, so perfcet for calming down allergies.
Lavender would be a perfect choice.
- Apply to everyday items: Enhance your daily routine by adding a few drops of essential oils to your pillow before sleep, onto a flannel in the shower, or to the outside of your sleeve. Our Relaxing Aromatherapy mist with Lavender and Chamomille would be a great choice.
Just remember to follow proper dilution guidelines, seek advice from an aromatherapist, and consult a healthcare professional if you have any concerns or underlying health conditions, as some essential oils should not be used for specific groups such as the elderly, pregnant or breastfeeding women, children, and animals. Or if you have a known allergies to any of the mentioned essential oils.
Explore Zen Soul Studio collection of essential oils and experience the soothing power of nature, but without the sneeze.
100% plant powered, Vegan + Natural + Earth Kind.